Friday, December 19, 2014

Checking It Twice

Melinda Palacio
Saturday, December 20, Winterlandia's Anti-Mall Marketplace



My final gift suggestion for the year: books. Tía Chucha Press and Centro Cultural has a great online  book shop. But if you are also looking for a bit of entertainment and fun while rounding out your holiday shopping. Tía Chucha's is hosting their 4th annual Winterlandia Anti-Mall. 

Whenever I mention Tía Chucha's, it's always with a soft spot because Luis J. Rodriguez has always inspired and informed my work. I'm also very honored to be a Tía Chucha Press Poet. They did a gorgeous job with my poetry book, How Fire Is a Story, Waiting. Whenever I go to Tía Chucha's, I always find myself buying some of their local handmade crafts in addition to books. 


If you missed Rudy's books by La Bloga guide, here it is: Holiday Gifts from La Bloga's Latino Authors
Felíz Navidad!



Over in New Orleans, on Sunday, José Torres-Tama gives his final 2014 performance and signs his new book of poems, Immigrant Dreams & Alien Nightmares (Dialogos Books 2014) at Faubourg Marigny Art & Books, December 21 at 6pm, 600 Frenchman Street, New Orleans.

At the Latino Book and Author Festival in 2010,
Luis Rodriguez, Michele Serros, Melinda Palacio and Daniel Olivas

Earlier this year, I reported on Michele Serros's campaign and fight against cancer in the September post: A Latina en Lucha Needs You Mucha Campaign. Thank you for your contributions to La Bloga friend, Michele Serros. In April 2013, Michele was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer, adenoid cystic carcinoma. As the disease has advanced to stage 4, she continues to ask for support and has upped the ante in her GiveForward campaign.

Thank you to everyone who reads La Bloga. I appreciate all of your well wishes for my broken leg which is healing. I'm able to walk without a limp and soon I'll be dancing. Gracias!

One of over 300 children in Iguala who will benefit from Reyna Grande's Posada.

Also, your generosity has helped fund Reyna Grande's toy drive. She will be distributing toys to over 300 children in her hometown of Iguala, Guerrero. Her campaign will also continue into the new year as she plans on including a toy give away to the kids at the ayotzinapa school. Reyna says the school has been turned into a campground with many people and kids. If you missed her guest post on La Bloga, read about how Reyna is bringing some Christmas Cheer to a Town Missing 43


No comments: